DellEMC has released RecoverPoint 5.0 SP1 and below are the features listed from the release notes. ScaleIO Support is big!!!
RecoverPoint can be used for heterogeneous replication of ScaleIO volumes.
Partially restoring a consistency group
The partial restore feature allows the user to specify production volumes of a consistency group to restore to production, without affecting production volumes that are not specified. In this version of RecoverPoint, partial restore is only supported when restoring production on an XtremIO array from a replica on an XtremIO array or a Data Domain system.
XtremIO single snapshot: deleting and expiration policies
RecoverPoint 5.0.1 introduces the ability to delete a single XtremIO snapshot at a copy; and to change the retention time policy of a single XtremIO snapshot at a copy.
DellEMC has just released RecoverPoint for VMs 5.0 SP1 which has a couple of New Features that are listed below from the release notes. The network configuration process is huge improvement which I am pleased to see happen.
Copy VM network configuration
Network configuration is now a semi-automatic process that no longer requires glue scripts. The GUI has been improved and relevant setting values can now be retrieved from the production VM. MAC addresses of remote copy VMs located on a different vCenter are now automatically replicated, and users can now select whether or not to replicate the MAC address of local copy VMs located on the same vCenter.
Deployer GUI improvements
The RecoverPoint for VMs Deployer provides improved user experience with:
- Browser resizing
- Clearer error messages
- Improved validations
- More intuitive interface
- Default values to minimize user inputs
ESX UUID duplication support
Beginning with Release 5.0.1, RecoverPoint replaces the use of VMware’s ESX host UUID and creates its own unique identifier, which ensures that no duplicate or degenerated UUIDs exist in the system. The substitution occurs only if the:
- vRPA cluster is at version 5.0.1 or higher, and
- Splitter is at version 5.0.1 or higher
For versions lower than 5.0.1, RecoverPoint displays a warning about the condition.
DellEMC World 2017 – Conference Recommendations
This will be my 2nd year attending DellEMC World and I wanted to give my perspective on what to expect and some recommendations on attending. There are several different key pieces to the conference, each with a different set of value.
Breakouts – There are 3-5 per day with Thursday being a session only day. These are good for server different reasons. The first breakouts on Monday will have something new to announce, which is always exciting. These breakouts will have product owners and some super smart minds presenting on their technologies. Some of the Breakouts also outline best practices and go into deep dives.
General Sessions – Monday thru Wednesday there is a general session starting at 10am and lasts until Lunch. These are always well done and should be attended. This year you will see Michael Dell, Jeremy Burton, Jeff Clarke, Pat Gelsinger, David Goulden and Chad Sakac.
Solutions Expo – This is self-explanatory. Showroom floor where all the Sponsors and Vendors have their booths setup. Always a great place to network and a lot of value can be had here. Also, SWAG!!
Free Exams – DellEMC exams are free on the first try for each one. Take advantage of this. By visiting the Proven Professional area you can also pick up some nice swag.
Entertainment – This is Vegas, there is plenty of entertainment. The conference offers a Grand Opening Reception in the Solutions Expo on Monday, a Happy Hour on Tuesday, and the Appreciation Event on Wednesday.
Travel – Highly recommend arriving on Sunday. You don’t want to miss the start on Monday and it gives you the opportunity to network and meet with people you may only see once a year. Last year I left early Thursday. This year I am leaving Early Friday. The reason is that Thursday is a day dedicated to Breakouts and it’s the perfect opportunity to make up for any possible breakouts you may have missed. You will find that you make a plan for each day and it changes as things arise.
More DellEMC World 2017 Posts to come!!
My current role has me focusing on Data Protection in depth, which has been a passion of mine for a long time. I have recently started diving into Rubrik and I believe this product is great solution for protecting your data. Below is a breakdown of the latest release of 3.1 and the continued improvements and added features of the platform.
Native (Physical) Windows Protection
- Granular File & Folder Level Protection
- Incremental-Forever Backups
- Automatic Connector Upgrades
- Secure Cloud Archival
- Pre and Post Scripting Features
- Full Integration with Compliance Reporting
- Support for Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2
There are a few Recovery Options for Windows Servers
- Restore (in place)
- Overwrite the original or create a new folder
- Preserve ALCs and Timestamp
- Export (out of place)
- Export to another Windows Server
- Preserver ACLs and Timestamp
- Download Locally
- Download files to the machine from where the administrator is running the Rubrik Web Interface
SQL Server Failover Clustering and other Improvements
- Complete support of Microsoft SQL Servers running on WSFC Clusters
- Automatically recognize a WSFC and creates a dedicated Failover Cluster Tab
- Automatic failover following to the active node
Advanced Export Options
- A SQL Server database can have multiple data and log files in various locations
- User can specify where each file goes, individually, during an Export Operation
- Source side Compression and Decompression
- SQL Server 2016 fully supported
- Cross Version Restore – Support for restore to the same or newer version
- Create and customize reports to manage, share and visualize analytics for data management, compliance, and utilization.
- Build your own or select from the system-built reports
- Schedule emails in HTML-5 or download on-demand Excel reports
- There are over 15 Attributes and almost 40 measures available
- AES-256 Encryption
- Multiple Encryption modes used for speed
- Key wrapping for higher security & secure cluster erasure
- Supports encryption on a 1 Brik cluster
- Internal Key Management via TPM
- Support for all r300 series Briks
- New design based on customer feedback to be “Host” centric
- 100% Customer Driven Upgrades
- Self-service upgrades via CLI
- Simple workflow just download the upgrade file, upload to cluster, issue upgrade command
- Enables scalable ROBO growth using the Rubrik Edge Virtual Appliance
- vSphere Improvements
- Manual vCenter refresh form the GUI
- Restore directly to ESXi hosts
- In-Place File Restore – Linux VMs
- Log & Support Bundle Download
- Download support bundle so it can be sent to Rubrik Support
- Extended Timeframes for Dashboard and System charts from 4 hours to 24 hours